Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Fun

Since moving to Monterey our kids have always wanted to do the paddle boats down on Del Monte Blvd next to the Dennis the Menace Park. So we decided to give it a try. The kids were excited until they realized that they had to wear a life vest. Alex did pretty good but Brady was another story. Finally he decided to wear it but only because mom promised him a treat after we had finsihed. A treat usually means stopping by 7-11 and getting some mm's. I know this is wrong but you do what you have to do, RIGHT!



The boats are tough because you can only paddle from the front. So, of course Joe and I sat in the front but I didn't feel good putting the kids in the back without me sitting right there. So, we just did our best and put them in our laps-WHAT A WORKOUT. Most of you know that I am anti-workout :) I think I may a lost a few pounds in that 1/2 hour!
So, later on during the day about 6:00 pm we went to the pier down by the US Coast Guard Station. The sea lions are all over. They like to hang out on the rocks right off the pier. We were standing about 2 feet from them. It was really neat.
The kids of course want to swim with them.
This picture is hard to see because of the shadows, sun and the black gate between myself and the sea lion. I thought it's face was so cute!

7 comments:

Anita said...

I told you not to do those boats (JK)!! We went to the beach (up in Capitola) and guess who got sunburned again?!

Susanne said...

We keep talking about trying the paddle boats. I've been on a paddle boat before, so I remember what a workout it is! But still fun, right?
So... where exactly is that pier? I totally want to go there and check out the sea lions up close!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun. I want to live somewhere a bit warmer for our next station.

Alex said...

Hey susanne, the pier is in Monterey-go like you are going to the aquarium. So, go under the underpass on Del Monte and verve to the right and take the first right turn. The US coast Guard station is on your left and on your right is parking, the pier and a small beach area with rocks. It's really cool. The sea lions were off the pier on the left and continue walking all the way down where there's a gate and there are a million of them. Have fun

Rita Peck said...

What fun.

Stacy said...

Very cool. The boats looked fun! Cute blog, this is my first visit.

kristib said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the directions, we'll have to try it. Maybe this week while my parents are visiting. Love your new blog look, btw.